Friday, January 30, 2009

Life updates

Whoa, it's been awhile since I've posted. A lot has happened. I'll start at the beginning, if I can even remember when that was.
To begin, we bottled our beer, the honey porter. It is delicious. To give you an idea of how much time has passed, we're going to open a couple bottles this weekend. Yikes.
Also, we've booked a couple of important things. To begin, we're spending a weekend in Monterey the last weekend of February. We plan on checking out some marine life and eating some good food. We're celebrating being done with our wedding invitations.
We've also booked our honeymoon flight! The day after our wedding we fly to Phoenix, AZ and stay there, then leave the following morning for CANCUN! 7 days of fruity drinks, great food, and the ocean right in front of our door. Next we'll book our resort and our various activities- including ziplining and checking out Chichen Itza.
The next huge development is less happy, but necessary. I gave Capitol Autism Services my resignation. I've worked for them for a year. I gave my notice for medical reasons. My lupus has been acting up a bit more lately- more pain, and I've developed a lovely rash on my face. At my last doctor's appointment we discussed this and he put me on an Aleve regimen. As I predicted, it quickly began to eat away at my stomach, even with TUMS and over the counter daily medicine. According to my Dr., that leaves me with a couple options- all with bad side effects. This is where quitting comes in.
I've decided to take a more natural approach to my health. I'm aiming to be less stressed and I've researched a couple ideas that I will be bringing up to my old fart of a doctor, including using green tea as an anti-inflammatory and taking vitamin B shots, which should help with fatigue. I hope he agrees to let me try.
So here is what I am leaving:
Savannah. She was my very first client ever. If you can't tell by the hair- she Italian, through and through. Snack during session is almost always pasta.
I remember my absolute joy when she signed "please" for the first time. Until that first success I was seriously wondering why I decided to start working with children. I had worked with the elderly for so long, then I decided to dive right into the field of autism.
I fell in love. With Savannah, her two brothers (who are also on the spectrum) and the rest of her family. I am now very passionate about the field, and I hope to use my experience to help children in Child Protective Services in the future.
This is Chet. Pardon the horrid camera phone shot, you should see some of his mom's photos... gorgeous!. Anywho, I've been his tutor since the very beginning, right when his program first started. Way back then he must have had 10 words in his vocabulary. He was very engaging, and tons of fun to play with- at first I questioned his diagnosis! Over the months he got bigger (I couldn't toss him in the air anymore!) and his vocabulary EXPLODED. I couldn't be more proud.
I've become close with the entire family. Chet has a great older brother and wonderful parents.
Just like being a caregiver, it's hard to leave a job in which you work in someone's home. It's like leaving the family.
I know I will stay close with Savannah's family and Chet's family. I don't think either of my kid's moms will let me lose touch. :)
So, when they find new tutors for both Savannah and Chet I will be unemployed- which I know I will be bad at. I like being busy. But I will relax and take care of myself. By the wedding I hope to be on top of the world and full of energy. And, hopefully- no pain.
To end on a happier note- here is a picture of Spartacus and a reminder that I will be in Spokane next weekend. I'm super excited to see everyone!

1 comment:

The Wells Family said...

Yep! We won't let you go! I'll even stalk you at parks...LOL :)
Thanks for everything you've done for Chet! Love, Wendy Greg Finn...and most of all Chet!