Next I made the frosting.
Then I needed to make the cakes all level and the same size. Behold on of my favorite baking tools and one of the key tools of the trade:
First I frosted all of the tiers with a thin layer of buttercream just to get the crumbs contained. My thinking behind this was that I would later add another layer and then press on the coconut. More on this later...
Next I stacked the tiers. No pictures of this process as it was the one thing I had never done before so I was concentrating. But here is the finished product:
Next I used this little dude, my "caulking gun" if you will.
Finally, I added the coconut. I used the "good" stuff (read: namebrand) on the outside as it's a bit more moist than store brand. It turned out soft looking and lovely, as I anticipated.
So, things I learned this time.
1.) Next time I'm going to just do a thick crumb layer and press the coconut on immediately. I think this will prevent the cake from looking lumpy because it is very hard to get it smooth right off the bat. Plus, then when you take the tiers apart there will be coconut on each tier's top.
2.) the bottom tier is heavy.
3.) Related to number two: I need a more serious off-set spatula. You're supposed to use it to set the cake down, but mine was really flimsy which resulted in fingerprints in the cake. Oh well.
4.) This was a lot of work, I'm really looking forward to having my sister help me.

4 comments:
Awesome job! I had thought about doing my own cake for about 10 min, then decided that it was a stupid idea. Yours looks great though and since you are going to have help, it will turn out perfect!! Way to be thrifty!!
Kara, It looks beautiful! And - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE coconut! You are so energetic - I think it turned out perfectly.
Hey Kiddo, remember that you will want to only put two layers together before you move the cake to the reception place. If you try to put it all together beforehand, it'll topple over on the ride. Looks like a successful trial to me! Love, Janelle
I think it is lovely and finished cake will be even better. I think Kayla has a Kitchenaid mixer as well.
But...Where are you planning on baking it? Be sure & ask Kayla about her oven. She "was" having trouble with it. Leveling & wrong heat. Of course you may use my "special" bowl. Don't know if my kitchen would be large enough? Where are you planning on baking and puttine it together? Need to find caretaker for Damien while you two are busy with the cake? Also to transport cake, usually only two layers at a time &finish at reception hall.
Post a Comment